Thursday, September 20, 2012

Chapter 84: Discarded Scenes


Eleanor came down from her office when her receptionist paged her, saying there was someone here looking for.  She was expecting an artist to drop of her portfolio for her consideration, but as soon as she saw the woman looking art Justin's art while she waited for her, Eleanor knew. The resemblance to Justin was so obvious, there's was no way this was anyone other than Jeanette.


Eleanor approaches and introduces herself.

"You know something about Justin?' Jeanette asks, wasting no time in getting to what she came for, "This is his work?"

 "I was expecting you to call me, not just show up at my gallery. In fact, I never said who or where I was, I just left a phone number with your agent."

Jeanette's small smile is just like her brother's "I've been searching for my brother since he disappeared, Ms. Thorne. I know how to investigate a person's identity and location with just a phone number. I had to come myself, as soon as possible, before he gets away from me again. Every time I got close to finding him, he'd disappear again."


"Come with me," Eleanor says, planning to continue this discussion in her office, "You understand, before Ican give you any information, I have to know what it is you want with Justin," Eleanor says as they walk together.

"He's my long lost brother; what do you think I want?" Jeanette asks, raining her brow in a very Justin-like manner.

"You weren't speaking when he left. And you end your book with the main character attending her long lost brother's execution on death row. I don't know what you want, but I do know that if you have any intention of opening old wounds or making any trouble for him, I won't let you near him.

"You're very protective of him, for an agent," Jeanette observes, looking at her knowingly.


He's never been one for surprises, but Justin decided the news he had to give Eleanor was important enough to warrant an unscheduled visit to her office. When he comes through the door, the first thing he sees is Eleanor deep in conversation with his sister.


"Oh, Justin," Eleanor exclaims when she turns to see him.

"It's really you," Jeanette murmurs, "After all this time."


Jeanette make a move toward him, to touch him, r perhaps even embrace him, but Justin grunts in displeasure and turns away, walking up the stairs in quick strides, casting one meaningful glance down at Eleanor on the way up.

"Excuse me," Eleanor breathes a quick apology to Jeanette before she rushes after him, "I have to go..."


"I told you to leave this alone!" he shouts when she joins him in her office.


"It wasn't supposed to go like this," Eleanor explains, "I read a book she wrote, about her long search for her missing brother, and I thought, since she was so important to you, it would be good to reunite yo with her. I gave her agent my number here so I could talk to her, find out how she felt about you, to gauge whether or not it would be a good idea. But she just showed up here...and then you showed up."

"This wouldn't have happened at all if you'd just done as I asked and left it alone," Justin points out.


"I know," Eleanor says, sinking into the chair behind her, "I'm sorry," she sobs.

"Hey," Justin says gently as he kneels in front of her, "Why are you crying?" She's not a crier, he knows that, so whatever made her cry must be a pretty big deal.

"I've worked so hard, and it's taken so long, to get you to open just a little for me. And now, it's all ruined. You'll never trust me again," she sobs, letting her tears fall freely.


"Elle, Princess," he says softly, lifting from the chair and into his arms, "We're a lot stronger than that. One little disagreement isn't going to break us."

"I shouldn't have interfered. I just wanted..."

"You wanted to do something for me, you thought I needed," Justin finishes for her, "It's all right, Elle."


"I was afraid I would lose you forever," she says as her tears dry away.

"Not a chance," Justin says, kissing her, "I came here to tell you I've made arrangements for our wedding."


"Justin?" Jeanette says as she taps lightly on the office door, "Please talk to me."


Jeanette had written thousands of reunion scenes with her brother. The one that made it into print, the one that gave the most satisfying ending to her fictionalized life story, was the ending she most feared for him, left out on his own to deal with his sometimes violent and often volatile nature without help. But even as differently as his life played out from her worst imaginings, this reunion is also most similar in tone to the one she published. All her discarded scenes were emotional, with arguments, tears and tight embraces. The death row scene was cold, with no emotion, no contact between the characters, herself and her brother.

He looks at her warily, his posture guarded, like he's ready to flee. And after all the dialogue she's written for this scene, Jeanette finds herself with nothing to say, after all. He survived without her, as she had survived without him. They were close once, but years of distance have worn that away.

"I'm getting married," Justin says, breaking the silence, "You've met Eleanor, my fiancee."

_____________________________________

I know, my updates to this story have become sporadic. I am in the process of winding down this story; there will be a few more chapters to wrap up most of the loose ends, and then I'll cap it off with a '5 years later' set of epilogue chapters that looks back in on everyone. After a lot of thought, I decided that ending the story was preferable to keeping on with it, forcing new dramas onto the characters or constantly introducing new characters while letting the characters with resolved stories take secondary roles. While this story is very like a soap opera, I don't want to see it go down the road most soaps take, injecting drama onto the characters' lives just for the sake of drama. 

I'll save all my thanks and goodbyes to all my readers for when this story actually ends, but I did want to alert everyone that the end is coming.


14 comments:

  1. Aww that was great how Justin took the news. I mean yes he was upset and rightfully so but I honestly expected fireworks. It's so awesome that he told Eleanor that their relationship is WAY too strong for that! She should have known that too. He did screw up letting her know that crying immediately flips his switch (that's a way to take advantage of him) but he is weak where she is concerned period.

    I really hope he an Jeanette are able to work things out and make it like it used to be. They could really use this especially since both seemed to have "survived" without the other but hurt of their lost relationship!

    I understand that you have to let the story go. Sometimes it's for the best rather than letting it become a trivial over-dramatic and long drawn out saga. They've all had great adventures and it does seem as though many of your characters have reached their end. It's sad but it happens and I will miss them.

    I want to also thank you for producing such an interesting and exciting ride from start (until finish) and let us know ahead of time to prepare us for the *gulp* conclusion. Now I can get my emotions in check (yeah right). I can *try* and get my emotions in check, how's that? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kind of expected to write a big argument scene, too, but when I thought about it, I realized Justin has changed and matured a lot, and he's really struggled to get control of his temper, and he just wouldn't blow up on Eleanor over something like. Especially when she started to cry. Which would be something Eleanor could exploit if she was better at acting or able to fake tears. But he'd see right through if she tried, and she's not much of a crier to begin with, so there's not much danger for him there.

      I will let you all know when the last chapter is coming. And, after the story 'now' finishes I am doing an epilogue that might take one or two chapters that revisits everyone around 5 years later.
      Thanks so much for reading and for your support. =D

      Delete
  2. Ok sadness that it's coming to an end. :( But I understand and will keep tissues next to my computer just in case.

    Wow the sister, just shows up and so does Justin. He can't stay made at Elle for long, she is his everything and he knows she only wanted to help give him some closure. The made arrangements for them to get married???? How is that gonna work? And his sister. What does she really want? Will this be a happy ending for them???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's true, Justin can't stay mad at Eleanor for very long, and though she went behind her back, he knows she did it for love.

      A couple of chapters back (it's been so long since my last update, it seems,) Justin mentioned that since they don't require birth certificates for marriage licenses in Nevada, they could get married using his fake ID. LOL, I suppose getting married to a guy with a fake identity is about as legally secure as not being married at all, but he finally decided he wanted some kind of formal commitment, hollow though it might be in a legal sense.

      Delete
  3. I'm glad they'll get an ending. =)

    Also glad Justin didn't get so angry he'd forget what's important.

    I do hope the siblings can reconnect, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reconnecting will be hard after so much time, and with both of them having such reclusive personalities. But I think it's very possible for them.

      Delete
  4. Im so proud of Justin for not flipping his lid and letting everything fall to pieces from one little argument. He understood that Eleanor was just trying to help him, and I'm so happy he did. That takes a lot of strength.

    Not too sure what to make of his sister, but she seems to miss him so I've decided to be happy they re-united. And I hope you show us Elle and Justin's wedding before ending the story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, like I just said to DJ, Justin has matured a lot and gained a lot of control over himself, so he didn't flip his lid over one little argument.

      I am planning on showing the wedding. Though I'm not usually the type to care for or about weddings, it would be mean of me not to, lol. Also, I have a pre-wedding scene I do want to write, so I would be extra sucky to take it that far and not t least get some wedding pictures. Don't expect a white dress, though. Justin will make Eleanor wear red.

      Delete
  5. I just love Justin even more now for not losing his cool with both his sister and Eleanor. I'm happy he realized El was trying to do something for him, and she didn't mean to cause him any pain.

    I'm a little sad that the story is drawing to a close, but I understand, there's no need to prolong it when you have your ending already.

    I will leave all my goodbyes for the final update.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Val!
      I like Justin better for being more in control of himself, too.
      I'm sad to be ending this story as well, but I think it's what's best.

      Delete
  6. As explosive as it started, it has a fairly gentle end. I am happy that Justin has seen his sister again. I hope she really truly has good things planned with that reunion. I think she does. Eleanor took a big chance and I am glad it worked out well. One door closes, another opens.... perhaps. Lots of endings and new beginnings and other changes for many. I am looking forward to the rest of the story. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Zhip! I don't think Jeanette has any ulterior motives, she just wanted to be reunited with her brother. Eleanor did take a big risk and it almost wnt horribly wrong, but in the end it will be for the best.

      Delete
  7. I'm sad to see this story go, but I'm also excited to read how you wrap up everyone's stories.

    I'm glad that Justin got to see his sister again and I hope that they are able to rebuild their relationship - or, at the very least, talk to each other every now and again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Giga! The time has definitely come to wrap this up. So many of the stories, like Heather and Ulises for instance, are already largely resolved, and the rest are almost there.

      Delete